Nutella Lava Cake
Duration: 35 mins
I am one of those people who’s happy with a jar of Nutella, a bar of dark chocolate and some ice-cream. I can literally survive on these for days. So when all three come together in a bowl for me, you can see me grinning ear to ear!
It is believed that back in 1987, Jean-Georges Vongerichten, the chef-owner of JoJo restaurant in New York, accidentally pulled out a chocolate sponge cake out of the oven too quickly and discovered a runny centre. Well, don’t we love these happy accidents that end in pure indulgence?
- 30g dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 10 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup icing sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp amaretto
- Ice-cream or whipped cream – optional
- Preheat oven to 220ºC.
- Prepare the ramekins.
- Melt the dark chocolate, Nutella and butter in a double broiler.
- Add the all-purpose flour and icing sugar to the chocolate mix.
- Slowly stir in eggs and egg yolks until smooth.
- Add vanilla extract and amaretto.
- Divide the batter equally among the prepared ramekins. Bake in the oven for 15 mins or so.
- Do not over bake. You want the edges to be firm, yet the centre to be gooey.
- Serve it with ice-cream, strawberries or whipped cream – whatever your heart desires.