Herby Courgette and Feta Bread
Duration: 50 mins
The summer of 2020 will always be etched in my memory, where I spent most of my days in the garden, yearning for the Mediterranean. So in my desperate attempt to hold on to the smells of fading summer, I ended up baking this tasty loaf one fine Sunday.
Packed with all the goodness of courgettes and herbs along with some tangy crumby feta cheese, it is perfect for a picnic or a quick lunch with side salad or hummus. Running out of ideas for breakfast? Serve this freshly baked loaf with mashed avocado and poached eggs and you have a winner!
- 300g courgettes finely grated
- 30g parsley finely chopped
- 30g dill finely chopped
- 15g chives finely chopped
- 6 eggs
- 120g self-raising flour
- 200g feta cheese
- Butter or oil for greasing
- Salt as per taste
- Pepper as per taste
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Grease a loaf tin and line with baking paper.
- Squeeze out the liquid from the grated courgette as much as possible and put into a bowl. Add all the ingredients except the feta cheese.
- Season to taste.
- Mix together until well combined, then crumble in 150g feta cheese.
- Stir gently and then spoon the mixture into the prepared loaf tin.
- Make sure to smoothen the top, then crumble over the remaining feta cheese.
- Bake for 20 mins.
- Cover the top with foil to stop it browning too much and bake for another 15 mins or until well done.
- Let it cool completely. Slice and serve.