Duration: 45 mins
All those who know me, can vouch for the fact that I’ve got the biggest sweet tooth. Ask me to bake and the chances are that the main ingredient will always be chocolate. But, I also love to surprise myself time and again. Well, who doesn’t?
So this time around I decided to bake some savoury muffins for few of my friends. Why buy them from a store when you can whip them up so easily with some basic ingredients? Make them in batches and enjoy with a steaming cup of tea or coffee.
- 2 1/2 cups self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1/2 cup shredded fresh basil leaves
- Bunch of finely chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan
- 100g crumbled feta
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Grease a 12-hole muffin tray.
- In a bowl sift the flour and baking powder. This will ensure the muffins rise well enough and are fluffy.
- Add the sugar, basil and chives. Mix well.
- Make a well in the centre. Gradually add the cheddar cheese, parmesan, egg, olive oil, milk, salt and pepper.
- Fold in the feta and mix until just combined. Do not overmix the batter, else it will make the muffins dry and tough.
- Divide the mixture evenly into the prepared muffin tray.
- Bake for 20-25 mins or until golden and just firm to touch.
- Let it stand in the pan for 5 mins.
- Carefully remove from pan to a wire cooling rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.